Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Week 1: What I Already Know


If  I'm being honest, the title of this assignment made me a tad nervous. Let's just say that I'm no expert in the world of readers' advisory. However, after being able to recognize many of the book covers from the online quiz, it appeared that I had more skills than I originally thought! But as with all skill sets, there is always room for growth. For me to grow in my new role, I must be open to new learning experiences as well as new challenges. Which brings me to why I chose "Stop You're Killing Me" and "Goodreads" as my resource picks. In the assignment summary, it is suggested that we use this training as an opportunity to get familiar with a genre that we typically wouldn't read. Of course, I took this advice and dived right into the world of "mystery". Here at the Rosedale branch, customers are constantly asking "have you read any good mysteries lately?" And sadly, I always inform them that I'm not too familiar with the genre. I'm hoping that by choosing a resource that focuses on this area, I'll be able to develop more knowledge and better connect with my community. And who knows, maybe I'll find a hidden love for Patricia Cornwell?

The story behind why I chose "Goodreads" is a little less courageous. I preferred the layout of their site over the other options. Plus, I guess it helped that I already have a "Goodreads" account :)

1 comment:

  1. Solid choices, Varshea. I'm glad the results of the book covers quiz gave you a confidence boost! It's totally unrealistic to expect to know all the things about all the books and be able to make perfect recommendations every time you get the chance. Over time you'll get better at ferreting from customers what they're looking for or what they might like, and you'll start to build strong associations between authors and genres that will serve as solid universal recommendations.

    Mysteries are like the biggest niche BCPL caters to right now. I don't know much about them either, other than people generally enjoy Laura Lippman and she's really easy to sell because she lives in and writes about Baltimore. I hope Your experiences with the mystery blog give you some new insights into the appeal factors of the genre.

    Also, nice Goodreads pick. I wish I had done the same thing.

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete