Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Week 3: The Readers' Services Conversation


Scenario 1:

Librarian: Hi, is there anything I can suggest?

Customer: I’m looking for a good story, you know, something that draws me in. But I don’t know where to start looking.

Librarian: What was the last book you read? Could you share something you liked about it?

Customer: The last book I read was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Everyone is reading it so I had to pick it up. It was lovely. She is such an interesting woman and so brave. I enjoyed the descriptions of the countries she went to and what she did while she was there, of course, but I think what I liked most was how she shared her inner thoughts — so reflective but funny too. I thought it might be just light fluff or all me, me, me, me, but it was so much more than that. I read all the Oprah books and just love them. Anyway I wanted to ask you for a few suggestions for my book group. It’s my turn to pick the title.

It sounds like this customer thoroughly enjoyed the personal reflections of Eat, Pray, Love. He/she connected with the character and were truly inspired by her experiences. For this customer, I would recommend another memoir such as My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'Homme. This book chronicles the years that Ms. Child lived in France with her husband. It is during this time that Ms. Child discovers her passion for cooking and her love for life. I believe the customer will appreciate the personal touches included in the book, like photographs taken by Child's husband himself along with additional candid family snapshots. Similar to Ms. Gilbert, Ms. Child gives readers a glimpse into her inner reflections that is both moving and entertaining.

Other reflective pieces that the customer may appreciate:
  • The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
  • Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Scenario 2:

Customer: Can you recommend any vampire books that are nothing like the Twilight series?

Librarian: Let me see how I can help you. What don’t you like about Twilight?

Customer: Everything, but especially that teen love story – way too much angst! And way too slow. Have you read any good vampire stories lately? 

It appears to me that the customer is in search of book involving vampires minus the staged love story and excessive teenage angst. I would probably introduce this customer to the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Anita is a supernatural consultant for the police department, who is a vampire hunter. This series offers action packed crime-fighting scenes, while also exploring the personal and romantic experiences of the main character. The Anita Blake series has plenty of vampires without the slow burn of a teenage love story. 


Scenario 3:

Librarian:  Hi, are you looking for anything in particular?

Customer: I just read this great book The River of Doubt.  It was about Teddy Roosevelt and this ill fated expedition to chart an uncharted river in the Amazon.  They lost almost all their provisions, the president was injured, and it turns out one of their crew was a murderer since there was a murder.  And the most amazing thing was that it true.  It was fascinating and really fast paced.  Do you have anything to recommend that is like that?

This particular customer seemed to enjoy the fast pace and historical nature of the book. He/she enjoyed the well-described historical landscapes and loved that the story was actually based on factual evidence. For this reason, I would recommend other non-fiction titles that featured historical expeditions/events. Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson offers a enthralling historical narrative about the sinking of the Lusitania during World War I. Larson explores this piece of history in a way that is both thrilling and emotionally powerful. Similar to The River of Doubt, Dead Wake gives readers an intimate look into the nation's history. 


2 comments:

  1. Love the Anita Blake recommendation! I think that would be perfect for the customer. I love the way you take your readers through the process of analyzing what the customer is saying and putting those parts together to make your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete