Friday, June 10, 2016

Week 7: Not Just for Teens


Assignment 1:

After reviewing the "What to Read Next" flowchart from the Lawrence Public Library, I must admit that I was impressed. The flowchart provided an option for nearly every type of reader. I myself am not a huge dystopian fan. I have read the Hunger Games series, but outside of that I haven't really had an interest in reading any other dystopian novels. That is until I took a look at this flowchart! Particularly the classics listed at the end caught my attention. A few of them I had already read, but titles like The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley really stood out to me. These titles have now been added to my ever growing "to-read" bookshelf on Goodreads.

Assignment 2:

The first article that piqued my interest was A Not So Young Audience for Young Adult Books by Meg Wolitzer. Wolitzer kindly addresses critics who deem that young adult novels should not be read by adults. Wolitzer challenges this ideology by examining the ways in which adults are able to connect with young adult stories. I agree with the author when she mentions that reading YA titles "serves as a continuation of [her] education." In my opinion, reading is all about gaining new experiences and perspectives through the eyes of the characters. I feel as though when I read a title that I loved as teen as an adult, I'm looking at the story with new eyes. There may have been components to the story that completely went over my head when I was a teen. But now that I've gotten more life experience as an adult, those coming of age stories mean more to me. I sympathize with some of the characters a little more.

The second article that I read was YA Comes of Age by Sue Corbett. Corbett explores how the face of YA is changing to accommodate the current population of young people. She made a good point when she mentioned how this current group of young people have never known a time when the country was not at war. So it's not surprising that current literature reflects these real life events. I think that's part of the reason why it's so easy for adults to connect with some YA novels. These novels are addressing heavier topics and are no longer written in a way that is solely for teens.

Assignment 3:

The two blogs that I decided to follow for this assignment were John Green's Tumblr and Cassandra Clare's Tumblr. Being that I am an occasional Tumblr user, it was pretty easy for me to monitor these two blogs. Though these blogs use the same medium to deliver their information, they are far from similar. It's obvious upon first glance that the intended audience for both of these blogs are young adults. However, John Green's blog feels more personal. Followers are given a glimpse into his everyday life, through shared photos of Green along with his family and friends. My first day monitoring the blog, Green shares a heart warming post honoring a young friend (a cast member in The Fault In Our Stars film) who recently passed away from cancer. The one word I would use to describe Green's Tumblr is community. Several posts remind followers that they are special and not alone. He even has a campaign called "DFTBA: Don't Forget To Be Awesome". Green also hosts a weekly podcast with his brother Hank, entitled "Dear Hank & John", during which they offer advice and interact with fans. Green's Tumblr feels as though its intention is to make adolescence a little less lonely.

Also based on fan interaction, Clare's Tumblr on the other hand seems to be more character driven. There are less posts showcasing Clare's personal life, but many blog posts that explore character traits and flaws. Given the nature of her books, Clare's blog is obviously intended for fantasy readers. She advertises upcoming novels and is big on reblogging fan art. Clare's blog definitely gives off a angsty vibe, the Tumblr feels very dark and mysterious. Though different, I believe that both blogs are successfully connecting with the young adult community.

Assignment 4:

I decided to follow the trends of "Harper Teens" and "Teens at Random" for the week. Harper Teens appears to promote several titles that include some form of character transformation or "coming of age" component. In these titles, the teen is often struggling to navigate through a hardship. They eventually set out for a summer trip/adventure that changes the way in which they see themselves and the world around them. Harper Teens also showcased several fantasy/scifi titles, such as the new Veronica Roth and an interesting book about a teenage psychic government spy.

Teens at Random had a spotlight for author James Dashner. Several of his books were showcased and his new series was being advertised. This site really put the focus on science fantasy/paranormal titles (i.e. Fallen, Maze Runner series). Based on these sites, it appears that fantasy and "coming of age" are the teen summer trend.


No comments:

Post a Comment