Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Week 9: Book Trailers & Training Wrap Up


Both articles discuss book trailers as if they are the ugly stepsisters of the media world. According to the authors, many are "unwatchable" and some are "embarrassing". I didn't realize there was so much distaste for book trailers in the literary world. Personally, the only book trailers that I've encountered were books that catered to tween/teenage readers. I assumed that this was a tactic used to reach younger readers, given their captivation with all things media based. Even now, it seems as though more time and money is spent on creating quality book trailers for YA books rather than adult titles. If more of an effort was made to grab the attention of all readers rather than just the youth, then I think that book trailers could succeed in marketing titles. I think that readers' advisory can cross different mediums, whether it's the traditional way (using a librarian) or through social media. I feel as though we do a disservice to readers when we fail to consider other ways to exchange information. For our visual learners, book trailers may be a great way to pique their interests.


Final Thoughts:

If I'm being honest...when we initially started this training, I thought that it would be like those tedious online classes that I took in grad school. I expected it to be tolerable, but not entirely enjoyable. I am happy to report that this training was a lot better than I anticipated. I loved the idea of using a creative blog to share thoughts and opinions. We were able to show our individuality in our blog designs as well as our book recommendations. I've added a few new titles to my "to-read" shelf as a result of this training.

The information being shared through this training was also helpful. Our recent training on narrative nonfiction was most helpful, because suggesting alternative genres to readers can be intimidating and sometimes difficult. Be More Bookish has also exposed me to new reader advisory resources, such as Early Word and Stop You're Killing Me. I do wish that some of the articles referenced in the modules were more up to date; however, the information they provided is still valid for everyday customer interaction. All in all, I'd say that this training was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment